Monday, July 1, 2013

San Diego Comic Con - 16 days and counting...

I am starting this blog to help plan for and cover SD Comic Con.  Besides for my own use, I hope it will become something of a helpful tool for my friends where I consolidate all the different news sites, twitter feeds, etc. that I follow.

I have done two similar blogs for my trips to New Zealand/Australia and England.  I had a blast doing it, and it provided an awesome way to relive the experience and remember more about the trips.  And, if possible, I would like to continue reporting on different entertainment news being it from the worlds of movies/TV, games, books, comic, music, etc., as I have a love for almost any form of entertainment.

And to continue a tradition I have done for my past blogs, I plan on incorporating and tying in music to each post - be it some cool music I heard while at the Con, music I am listening to while doing something, or just some cool music that I think fits the topic somehow.  I coined the term "SoundTrekkin'" awhile back at Coachella one year...meaning having the right song playing while you are exactly where you should be...kind of like the soundtrack to you life...

This will be my second year at SDCC, but I feel I have accumulated a lot of helpful ideas from my first year and my friends who have gone so many years before me.  So on my first post, I thought I would start with what I am using to find out the latest and greatest information as I prepare to take on SDCC!

  • Websites to follow:
    • SDCC Main page - http://www.comic-con.org/cci
      • Currently useful for information on exclusives, special guests, and basic admin stuff related to your passes
      • Will be much more useful once they post the schedule!
    • San Diego Comic Con Unofficial Blog - http://sdccblog.com/
      • Great source for current news and updates, include great calendar for offsite events, and other news
    • When Nerds Attack - http://whennerdsattack.com/
      • Another news site for SDCC.  Covers some offsite events and has a handy 2013 panel page showing that panels have been announced so far and the date/time/location if known.
    • The Nerd Machine/ Nerd HQ - http://www.thenerdmachine.com/ and http://www.thenerdmachine.com/nerd-hq/
      • Zac Levi (from Chuck) site that offers news in the nerd world as well as hosts Nerd HQ at Comic Con, which is an offsite and not a part of SDCC...meaning you do not need a badge to attend
      • Hosts lots of conversations with people for charity - tix are $22 and goes to charity!  Their site has videos of some of the conversations last year.
    • Your favorite sites for the things you are excited for
      • If you have regular sites you visit that cover content that will be at SDCC, you can bet they will have news leading up the event.  Some of my personal favorites are:
  • Follow Twitter - so many actors, directors/producers, entertainment companies, etc. have Twitter accounts, and it is often the quickest way to find out what is going on before, during, and after Comic Con.  Plus, sometimes special news and events gets announced through this medium, and it would be a shame to miss out on a secret screening of a film...it is worth signing up for an account just for SDCC.  Here are some great ones to start with:
    • @Comic_Con - SDCC official account
    • @SDCCNerdsAttack - When Nerds Attack's account
    • @Crazy4ComicCon - Tony B Kim's account, great source for news and tips
    • @NerdFu - Nerd Fu's account, another good news site
    • @TheNerdyGirlie - another cool resource for news
    • @IanFin8 - this blog :)
    • Follow your favorite people in the industry.  People like Wil Wheaton, Felcia Day, Joss Whedon, Nathan Filion, etc.  Not only will they post funny things but during SDCC you can find out what panels or special events they'll be apart of.


Music:
I was suggested this song when I mentioned how I love the music from Adventure Time (which I am sure I will include in future posts).  But this song is the work of someone who pieced together dialogue from Lemongrab and mixed into a very cool rock/metal song!  So check out this track at SoundCloud using the link below:
https://soundcloud.com/1051tunes/unacceptable-condition

"...hold tight you buns if your buns you do hold dear, for time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear..."

Thanks for tuning in,
Ian


No comments:

Post a Comment