Sunday, February 23, 2014

Welcome to the Flying Tower!


Welcome the Flying Tower


At the beginning of 2013 I had the idea to turning my garage into a bar.  Until that decision, it was really just a storage area in complete disarray.  So I cleaned out my garage, got rid of a bunch of stuff, and bought storage shelves to organize  the stuff I kept.  It's mostly camping stuff that I have accumulated...my own little REI section haha.

The the building phase began.  Like any noob in home improvement, I went to the mecca...Home Depot.  Lots of lumber of purchased, rented a truck, made a few trips, bought some tools.  I had a lot of help from friends, especially my buddy Jeff who not only helped on a ton of work, but also had some of the bigger power tools that were needed.  

Fast forward about 10 months and I had the first opening of the bar for my birthday!  There was still some things to be done, mainly hanging two pictures to hang.  One got hung in January 2014, and this weekend I finally put up the second.  So a little over a year with the base of the work done, I thought it was time to debut it, provide a little information, and post some pictures.
  • Name: The Flying Tower
    • Name is a mixture of two of my favorite fandoms: The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and the Firefly series.
      • Addition reference to Neil Gaiman's MirrorMask movie, in which one of the leads, Valentine, who has a tower that flies haha.
  • Seating Capacity - 10:  Four at the bar, 4 at the table, 2 on the couch.
  • Bar - Redwood plank bar top, natural stain, sealed with super glaze with white oak base stained with black.
  • Bookshelf holding all my books and cool nerdy stuff. (not this was just assembled, not built haha)
  • Framed Mondo art: The Dark Tower by Drew Struzan and Howl's Moving Castle by Olly Moss (signed and picked up at SDCC '12)
  • Pictures: The Flying Tower





























No comments:

Post a Comment